Monday, September 27, 2010

Routine? Well, sort of

Hmm, I just realized that I have not updated in a little bit.  I do apologize.  It seems that there is always something happening in this city and I've enjoyed much of it :)

I also realized that I have not shared any photos.  Here are a few pictures of the church/warehouse.  Operation Helping Hands works out of an old Catholic church and school.  They 'borrowed' it right after Katrina and have been there ever since.
You can still see the stained glass window of the Christ, Lamb of God

And over here, some Long Term Volunteers (LTVs) added a bit of art to the storage room.
More storage, supplies, and encouraging art.  Because, who couldn't use some encouragement.

That is the church/warehouse.  Or at least an idea.  It is a neat space.  It definitely provides me with a constant reminder of the 'why' of the work (and a bit of the how, for those of you who know the chaotic-uncertainity that goes with the non-profit world).

Yeah.  My routine is a bit adjusted for early mornings and more consistent hours.  For example, I have three alarms set: 1 = "it would be best if you got up now, Haley" 2 = "you need to get out of bed" and 3 = "GET UP!"  All of these sound before the sun creeps over the horizon.   Which explains the next bit of the routine, tea and/or coffee.  The morning shot of caffeine to get me going.  Usually, I start the water for tea and let the tea steep, while I dash off to morning prayers.  By the time we're done with morning prayers, my tea is ready and we hustle out the door to pick up a co-worker and get to work.  However, by Thursday or Friday, it's usually time to switch to coffee for a little more caffeine...

We get to OHH for morning meeting and load-up. Then off to our respective job sites until 4-4:30.  Back to St. Raymonds, the name of the old church, for un-loading.  Then we return home.  Tired, dirty, and generally happy.  Ready for the fabulous meal that will appear at 6.  The Brothers happen to be excellent cooks.

Um, well friends.   This is a fair chunk of my life.  I promise more pictures and more actual stories will come.  For now, I will leave you with the quote in the picture above, "Aspire not to have more, but to be more." Bishop Oscar Romero (yep, he's a liberation theologian).  

No comments:

Post a Comment